When I walked out of the gym this morning I walked past the trees in the courtyard and realized the mulberry tree was loaded with mulberries. I picked a few- they were delicious. After supper, I headed back over with a collander, put my headphones on, and started picking berries. The handful of people around must have thought I was crazy. A German tourist came up to ask me where everyone was (downtown is largely deserted at night, I sent him down to 4th Avenue). My fingers are stained purple. I think I have enough to make 3 or 4 small pint jars of jam. I will probably do this tomorrow.

Mulberries.


We used to pick mulberries when I was a kid, or rather, we'd spread an old sheet on the ground and shake the branches until the loose berries fell off. I was reminded of this as many berries fell off the branches and onto the ground as I was attempting to harvest them.